Thursday, February 16, 2017

Old School Games with a New Outlook

Do you remember the games that we played as kids that didn't involve a video screen or a controller?  I am talking about ones like Hop Scotch, Where is Thumbkin? and Red Light, Green Light.  I remember playing them first with my mother and then with my friends.  What I didn't realize was that I was doing a lot more than playing a game.

Some of these old school favorites are a great way to work on different developmental skills.  As an OT I have re-evaluated all of these games that I enjoyed and looked at how we can use them in therapy and at home to  help our kiddos with some fun learning strategies.

Here are some oldies but goodies with the skills that you can work on while playing with your child!  And most importantly....Have Fun!!

Where is Thumbkin?
This is one of my favorite ways to assist kiddos with finger isolation.  In addition to promoting singular finger movements of each hand it works on finger identification as well as joint isolation and range of motion in the fingers.

Hopscotch
This is one that is loaded proprioceptive input for our friends that need that input to be able to attend to seated tasks, such as homework or meal times.  It also works on bilateral coordination, balance and visual motor skills.  Not to mention learning numbers and sequencing!

Red Light, Green Light
I really enjoy this one for my friends who have a difficult time attending to auditory information!  Reaction time and attention are also some skills that will be developed while using this game.

Mother May I
The basics of the game will work through motor planning skills to be able to perform the task being directed by the "mother".  Sequencing, attention and multi-step directions are essential skills for the game and allow your child to be silly while working on these skills.

Patty Cake
Patty cake is a great one for bilateral coordination and motor planning.  What little girl does not like to play patty cake?  Try having them make up a new song to the game!

Simon Says
Memory and following directions are the keys to this game.  These skills are very valuable for within academic settings and provide a fun way for a child to pay attention to rules and sequential steps.


No comments:

Post a Comment